GROW Oakland, Beyond Emancipation’s 12 week culinary training program is still accepting applications! Access the application HERE.
They are looking for young adults, 17 – 23 years old and current or former foster care/probation youth, who are interested in gaining employment skills and exploring a career in the culinary field. Graduates from their program have gone on to work either full or part time at local restaurants and other food service organizations.
Potential participants can call or text Courtney Ralph at 510-359-7002 or email@example.com. They can also fill out the attached application and scan/email it to Courtney or fax it to 510-667-7639.
See below for more information about the program!
GROW Oakland is a 12-week culinary arts job training program that provides an introduction to the food service industry and opportunity to earn a California Food Handler Certificate. Youth involved in this interesting opportunity leave quite proud of their accomplishments and have a tangible skill to use as they seek sustainable employment.
- Individual interview with Program Coordinator and/or Chef Trainer
- 1:1 Session with Program Coordinator
- Literacy and Numeracy Assessment
- Program begins Monday, March 21st
GROW will run for 12 weeks, from March 21st – June 9th:
- Weeks 1 through 8: Classroom training and culinary skill practice from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday – Thursday.
- Weeks 9 through 12: 2 days per week of internship at local Oakland eateries and 1 day per week of professional development workshops
- Youth can earn up to $100 +/week in stipends and wages
Eligible youth are:
- Ages 17.5 to 23 **please note, the age limit has changed to 23
- Current or former foster or probation youth
- Resident of Oakland
- Available during the times above
- Interested in learning new skills to prepare for meaningful work in the culinary field