The Fresno Boys and Men of Color (BMOC) was launched in 2012, evolving into the new program, NPE 559, which has expanded to become a more gender-inclusive space.
During its 9 years, BMOC sought to improve the life outcomes of young men of color by engaging them in issues that directly affect their health and wellbeing. Their first-hand experiences and deep knowledge of their communities position them to be powerful advocates. The program built on this native power by polishing leadership and advocacy skills, and connecting youth leaders to partner organizations and elected officials.
Kev ua ub no
BMoC was grounded in the development of deep and lasting relationships. Healing circles were held monthly, and the annual Central Valley Regional Camp brought youth from Merced, Fresno, South Kern, and Cutler-Orosi together to build brotherhood and leadership skills. BMoC youth leaders implemented a number of successful campaigns on diverse social justice issues that led to critical policy changes as well as events that brought the community together. These included:
- In partnership with Fresno Building Healthy Communities, mounting a social media campaign to improve Fresno’s parks – key community gathering places that contribute to the wellbeing of youth and their families.
- Hloov Fresno qhov kev hloov tsheb rau pej xeem, FAX, rau cov zej zog uas feem ntau tso siab rau nws. Qhov Dab Tsi FAX? phiaj los nqis tes tau muab tso rau Cov Hluas Hnub no raws li zoo raws li yli cov blog.
- Ensuring that SB 190 – the law that wiped fees for juveniles caught up in the justice system from the books – was enforced throughout the county. The story was shared on yli cov blog.
- Tsim tsa Lub Nroog ntawm Fresno Cov Tub Hluas Ntxhais Hluav Taws Xob hauv 2016, uas muaj hauv Medium no tsab xov xwm.
- Tsim Tsa Fresno Police Chief of Youth Advisory Council, qhia txog cov lus saum toj no.
- Tawm tswv yim, ua ib feem ntawm txoj kev koom ua ke ntawm Fresno BHC cov neeg koom tes, rau Tsev Kawm Ntawv Kev Ruaj Ntseg, kom ntseeg tau tias Fresno's Unified School District tiv thaiv cov tub ntxhais kawm tsis muaj ntaub ntawv, sib koom ABC 30 Nqis Xov Xwm thiab hauv no Fresno Bee tsab xov xwm nyob rau hauv 2017.
- Tsim ib qho chaw rau zej zog los kho kom zoo los ntawm Dia tsib Los Muertos zej zos altars. BMoC lub 2016 lub thaj tau pom qhov chaw nyob hauv zos TV ABC 30 Nqis Xov Xwm, Univision 21, Central Valley Hnub No, Thiab CBS 47 Tsab Ntawv Xov Xwm, zoo li no Fresno Bee tsab xov xwm. Lub 2017 lub thaj twb featured ntawm TV chaw nres tsheb KSEE 24.
In addition to local civic participation, Fresno BMoC was part of a larger statewide initiative advocating for policy change that improved health and life outcomes for boys and men of color.