On June 1, 2011, the Youth Leadership Institute rolled out the Red Carpet to recognize youth leaders and their adult allies for their exemplary leadership, passion and commitment to creating positive social changes for the Marin County Community. Thank you all for making the night such a success, we hope you had a great evening!
During the event, 6 chapters were recognized for exemplifying the Friday Night Live Standards of Practice.
(1) A safe environment: SAN RAFAEL HIGH SCHOOL, BUILDING A MASTER FOUNDATION FOR FOOD (BAMFF)
- Physical Safety- to feel safe physically, free from the risk of harm.
- Emotional Safety- to feel safe emotionally, to feel like they can be who they are.
(2) Opportunities for community engagement: NOVATO WELLNESS CENTER PEER EDUCATORS
- Knowledge of Community- to learn about their community and its resources.
- Interaction / Interface with the Community- to interact and work with community members.
- Communication with the Community- to communicate about the program or youth issues.
- Contribution to the Community- to give back and serve their community.
(3) Opportunities to for leadership and advocacy: NEXT GENERATION SCHOLARS
- Decision-Making and Governance- to participate in decision-making and occupy leadership roles, such as staff or board roles.
- Youth Voice- to learn to express their opinions constructively and to hear those of others.
- Action- to take action on issues or projects they care about outside of the program- in the community, at school.
(4) Opportunities to build caring and meaningful relationships with peers and adults: SAN RAFAEL HIGH SCHOOL AVID & NOVATO HIGH SCHOOL E.L. ACADEMY
- Peer Knowledge- to learn about their peers and build relationships with them.
- Adult Knowledge / Guidance- to learn about the adult staff and build relationships with them.
- Emotional Support- to feel supported emotionally by others in the program.
- Practical Support- to feel like their practical needs are met by adult staff.
- Sense of Belonging- to feel like they belong, like they matter to the group and its success.
(5) Opportunities to engage in interesting and relevant skill development activities: LIFT FOR TEENS
- Specific Skills- to develop and build specific skills through program activities.
- Challenging and Interesting Activities- to engage in interesting and challenging activities.
Below are a couple of articles about the event: