Yammilette “Yami” Rodriguez, originally from Redwood City, California, moved to the to the Dinuba as a young person. She graduated with an Associate’s Business degree from Reedley College, a Bachelors in Business Administration, Marketing from CSU, Fresno and has her Masters Degree in Leadership and Organizational Studies from Fresno Pacific University. Her thesis was in the area of Latino Attainment of Higher Education. She has a Credential from Fuller Theological Seminary in Urban Youth work.
Yami has been with Youth Leadership Institute (YLI) since 2009, and is Senior Director in the Central Valley. YLI has been in Fresno since 2003 — Yami recently launched a YLI office in Merced County to expand the youth programming in the North Valley. Programming includes youth-led, health-related and neighborhood change campaigns in Fresno County.
Yami works to have youth voice at the table in community issues especially in making positive policy and social sustainable change in our communities. Some of the examples of youth-led projects include underage drinking prevention, healthier corner stores, healthy advertising and healthy eating, access to parks, access to youth jobs and youth civic engagement campaigns. Nationwide, she trains organizations and communities on how have strong youth and adult partnerships to make their communities healthier.
Yami has received many recognitions including:
- Central CA Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Latina Achievement Award for Community Service, 1997
- Valley Public Television and Union Bank Hispanic Heritage Month Local Heroes Award, 2004
- Association of Mexican American Educators, Educator of the Year, 2007
- Marjaree Mason Center Top Ten Business and Professional Women of the Year, 2008
- Assemblymember Henry Perea, Hispanic Leader of the Year, 2012
- Friday Night Live Statewide Youth Development Visionary Award, 2013
- Girl Scouts Inspiring Women Award, 2016
- State Center Community College District, Muro De Honor (Wall of Honor), 2017
Yami has served in the community and on Boards of Directors in numerous ways:
- Irvine New Leaders Network, 2015 – Present
- Hispanas Organized for Political Equality (HOPE), Board Member, 2013 – Present
- California Friday Night Live Statewide Leadership Council 2011 – Present
- My Sister’s Closet Career Development Ministry, Founding Director and Board Member, 2008-2015
- Fresno Pacific University, Board of Trustees, 2010 – 2014
- Former Mayor Ashley Swearengin, Community Advisory Panel, 2009-2015
- Go Fresno Public Schools Leadership Council, 2017 – Present
- Central California Latina Network (now VALLE), Founding Board Member, 2004-2010
- Fresno Compact, Business and Educations Partners – Committee Member, 2002-2009
- ABC 30 Advisory Council, 2009-2011
- Leadership Fresno Class 24, 2008
Yami and her husband Jaime Rodriguez have two beautiful little daughters named Lizette and Juliette.