What is this bill about?
SB 130 would create a Higher Education Performance, Accountability, and Coordination Commission – a statewide higher education coordinating body to provide oversight, accountability, and resources to support students across California. This coordinating body will advise the Governor, the Legislature, and other institutions of higher education and make recommendations that include, but are not limited to programs concerning financial aid, transfer pathways, degree completion and certification, and workforce coordination.
How does it align with yli’s values?
Many of the youth who participate in our programs or who are interns are either pursuing higher education concurrently or plan to when they finish high school. We support policies that ensure that youth – especially youth of color – have access to quality resources.
What is yli doing about it?
Who else supports this bill?
- Dr. George Boggs, President and CEO Emeritus of the American Association of Community Colleges
- Dr. Estela Bensimon, Dean’s Professor in Educational Equity and Director, Center For Urban Education at the University of Southern California
- Drew Furedi, Executive Director of Para los Niños
- Yvonne Gonzalez-Duncan, State Director of California LULAC
- Carl Guardino, President and CEO of the Silicon Valley Leadership Group
- Felix W. Ortiz, CEO of Viridis Learning
- Helen Iris Torres, Executive Director and CEO of Hispañas Organized for Political Equality