What is this petition about?
This petition was created by the Oakland Progressive Alliance (OPA) – a community-labor coalition of community, labor, housing and youth organizations – to condemn the increasingly dangerous, politically motivated attacks on Black women in leadership. We stand with the Black-led organizations and leaders, like Councilmember Fife and Cat Brooks, in Oakland and beyond, against anti-Blackness and misogyny. We are calling for an immediate end to politically motivated rhetoric that is leading to harassment and threats on democratically elected representatives and community leaders in Oakland and beyond.
How does it align with yli’s values?
In an environment where politically motivated violence is becoming the norm, increasing attacks targeting political and community leaders – especially Black women – must be stopped. These leaders represent our youth, and are leading the changes are communities most need. Trump-like, far right style tactics are provoking real time and potentially violent responses, and we’re calling on them to stop immediately.
This Statement aligns with our Racial Justice Platform.
What is yli doing about it?
We have just signed this petition, and we are voicing our concerns on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Who else has signed this petition?
- The Alameda Labor Council
- Clarissa Doutherd, Executive Director, Parent Voices
- Keith Brown, President, Oakland Education Association & Interim Secretary-Treasurer, Alameda Labor Council
- Saabir Lockett, East Bay Action
- Kate O’Hara, Isaiah Toney, East Bay Alliance For A Sustainable Economy
- Jeremy McCants, Faith Alliance for A Moral Economy
- Liz Suk, Executive Director, Oakland Rising
- Frankie Free Ramos, Director of Campaigns and Organizing, Communities United Restorative Youth Justice (CURYJ)
- Dr. Ayodele Nzinga, Executive Director, Black Arts Movement District Community Development Corporation
- Bobbi Lopez, State and Regional Policy Director, Build Affordable Faster
- Yeon Park, Vice President, East Bay Region, Service Employees International Union Local 1021 &
- 2nd Vice President, Alameda Labor Council
- Zac Unger, President, Oakland FireFighters, IAFF Local 55
- Julian Ware, Vice-President International Federation of Professional and Technical Employees Local 21