Redefining Equity through Policy 559 (REP559) is a community of young leaders who advocate for social and racial equity in their communities. REP559 expands upon the work of the former Fresno Boys and Men of Color (BMOC) program at Youth Leadership Institute (yli). This Award is intended to support transitional age youth of color who are or will be enrolled in an educational or vocational/technical program at an accredited institution and who are or will be in pursuit of a degree program in post-secondary education. Recipients will be awarded a $1,000.00 scholarship!
This scholarship is open to current REP559 and Fresno BMOC youth leaders and alumni, as well as youth leaders leading social change work/racial equity work across Fresno. At least one scholarship will be awarded to REP559/Fresno BMOC alumni and a youth leader in the County of Fresno, respectively. Youth must reside in the County of Fresno. Priority will be given to youth of color and is open to youth of all gender identities and expressions.
- Must be a college student OR a Senior or Junior (who will be graduating early or dual enrolled) in high school during the 2022-23 academic year OR if not currently enrolled, must be enrolled in an accredited educational institution for Summer/Fall 2023
- Must have a 2.0 GPA or higher
- Currently or plan to pursue a degree program at an accredited post-secondary educational institution (i.e. graduate program, 4-year college, 2-year college, trade school, apprenticeship, etc.) and must provide proof of enrollment no later than 30 calendar days after award recipients are notified
- Click here to download and fill out the application!
- Write a narrative (maximum is 500 words, hand-written or typed) OR submit a video (3 minutes max) OR send in a creative submission of the applicant’s choice (e.g., artwork, etc.) in response to the following prompt:
- Describe how you have or are working to address issues impacting youth of color in the County of Fresno OR how you are working to advance equity or justice for youth of color in the County of Fresno.
- Include at least one (01) but no more than three (3) references who can speak to work that you are doing or have done to address issues impacting (or to create opportunities for) youth of color in the County of Fresno.
Mail your completed application to: Youth Leadership Institute, c/o Kato Prado
700 Van Ness Ave, Suite 014, Fresno, CA 93721
Or Email: [email protected]
SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINE: May 31st, 2023. Applications will continue to be accepted until June 9, 2023 or until all allotted scholarships for the year 2023 have been awarded. Award recipient(s) will be informed by no later than June 9th, 2023.
Submitted applications will be reviewed by a panel including staff, adult allies, and youth leaders.