Youth philanthropy is a powerful challenge to traditional philanthropy, which, in many ways, perpetuates the systems of power and privilege that it claims to address. By putting the decision-making power in the hands of young people — particularly low-income youth of color — youth philanthropy redistributes decision-making power to those most impacted.
Building Leaders in Innovative New Giving (B.L.I.N.G.) was founded on ylis conviction that young people are deeply rooted in their communities and have developed knowledge and expertise from their lived experiences. This knowledge guides B.L.I.N.G.’s youth grantmakers as they discuss applications and award funding— they have a sharp sense of what projects will be effective for their communities and which projects will address issues that impact youth.
BLING youth grantmakers have provided up to $65,000 annually to 15-20 youth-led projects that directly address important social justice issues and inequities affecting San Francisco youth and their communities. We blogged about our 2019 B.L.I.N.G. grant recipients.
Interested in joining as a youth grantmaker?
Opportunities for paid internships as a BLING Youth Grantmaker are open to all San Francisco youth, ages 15-18. Participants are expected to attend weekly meetings for the duration of the school year, and stipend is based upon active participation in the program. Look out for applications in Spring 2020!
Interested in funding for your youth-led project?
- Are you between the ages of 13-18 years old?
- Are you passionate about social justice?
- Do you have an idea for making San Francisco a better city for youth?
Apply today for a grant of up to $5,000 for your youth-led project! Here’s what you need to know:
- Application Deadline: Sunday, February 2nd, 2020 @11:59PM (this application will close after this time).
- Workshops: This is an opportunity for applicants to get feedback on their applications and ideas before submitting their applications. During these sessions B.L.I.N.G. Grant Reviewers will review your application. Check back in January for dates and times!
- How Can You Apply For The Grant? Just click this link!
Check out these resources for further reading on Youth Philanthropy: