In 2019, yli youth partnered with the San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services to help reduce stigma associated with mental health in transitional age youth (15-25 years).
Some of our previous work includes a campaign to stop AAPI hate and creation of self-care plans for a workshop given in May 2021 for Mental Health Awareness Month. We also advise the Help@Hand project, a pilot of the wysa app, which educates youth about mental health and increases their access to care by connecting them to in-person services. Working closely with county agencies, community organizations and peers, we provide invaluable insights, feedback and ideas on the app’s development. We also assist with outreach and implementation of approved apps across the county.
Interested in joining?
We are currently looking for 10 youth who live, work, or attend school in San Mateo County to act as Youth Ambassadors from July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023.
Youth Ambassadors will participate in the following activities:
- Engage in bi-weekly meetings to develop multimedia storytelling strategies to promote the app.
- Facilitate adult and youth-led presentations to community partners (schools, organizations, and other groups with direct access to youth)
- Plan and implement App Downloading Gatherings/Parties
- Develop social media campaigns to promote the app
Youth Ambassadors will gain the following skills:
- Technology literacy
- Interpersonal communication
- App analysis
- Public speaking
- Community outreach and engagement
- Facilitation and training
- Understanding of mental health barriers in San Mateo County
We can provide community service hours and stipends for your participation in the program.